STORM KING PARK
SOMA is an international collective of architects, designers and creatives established in New York. With its focus on incorporating craft, digital technologies and environmental responsibility, the firm’s designs and work have attracted critical acclaim for their boundary pushing nature. SOMA’s work is rising around the world today – in New York, California, Dubai, and Qatar — with remarkable offerings of luxury residential, hospitality, condominium and mixed-use developments that underscore the firm’s cutting edge appeal.
SOMA works closely with clients to understand their needs and desires in relationships to external constraints in today’s ever changing cycle of occupancy and uses of buildings, providing adaptable planning so buildings evolve with their clients. Rather than imposing a ‘parti’ onto a given site, SOMA tends to deploy patterns which seemingly self-organize and grow with the site and its intended and un-intended future uses[…]. It is the ability to work in the virtual space of organizational tools, while deploying concrete structures and materials that places SOMA at the cutting edge of architectural practice.
SOMA is launching a new Art Department to create mage scale parametric and sculptures and installations.
Storm King Art Center is a 500-acre outdoor museum located in New York’s Hudson Valley, where visitors experience large-scale sculpture and site-specific commissions under open sky. Since 1960, Storm King has been dedicated to stewarding the hills, meadows, and forests of its site and surrounding landscape. Building on the visionary thinking of its founders, Storm King supports artists and some of their most ambitious works. Changing exhibitions, programming, and seasons offer discoveries with every visit.
Storm King Art Center nurtures a vibrant bond between art, nature, and people, creating a place where discovery is limitless. Committed to supporting artists and stewarding its landscape, Storm King connects with visitors through dynamic exhibitions and programs.
Storm King’s mission is to:
– Exhibit, acquire, borrow, and conserve modern and contemporary art, focusing on large-scale sculpture sited in the Art Center’s expansive landscape, to create a dynamic and unique place to explore art in nature
– Provide engaging exhibitions, educational and public programs, and special events
– Contribute to an art historical discourse through scholarly research, publications, and archives on sculpture
– Value relationships with artists and encourage development of their ideas and practices
– Wisely steward and conserve the Art Center’s natural setting by adopting sound and sustainable landscape and viewshed management practices
– As an international destination, contribute to the cultural life and prosperity of the region